Tails is live operating system which works off a DVD or a USB flash drive. This operating system is present entirely on your removable media and can be used interchangeably on various systems. It is an alternative to your normal OS which provides you maximum security and privacy as well as the ease of carrying your OS around.
One of the most comfortable systems for Tails is Linux. Tails 2.0 is basically based on Debian Kernel, runs on GNOME 3.1 and is packaged with Linux open source productivity making tails Linux download feel close to home for Linux users. Now, here we are going to provide you step by step guide that how to boot tails from usb.
How To Boot Tails From Usb
In order to install tails your need to follow these steps:
- Run an antivirus check in order to be secure
- Go to the official tails OS website and download the tails OS in your laptop
- Have at least a capacity of 4GB for your download, this may takes a few hours
- Once the tails download is complete, prepare the bootable media with tools such as USB Installer, Rufus or Power ISO.
- Now boot from that media and insert the usb stick. Choose application and then Tails Installer. From there on choose ‘Install by cloning’ and choose your usb to install tails.
Once you restart you PC you should be able to boot from your tails OS and from there on your can configures settings from the tails copy and create a strong pass phrase. After the final restart you should be able to use your OS with your password. This method should work for the most devices even if you are trying to boot tails from usb on a chrome book.
Once you’re done creating your Tails usb pen drive, the next crucial step is to boot tails from usb. In order to boot tails from your tails hard drive you need to follow a few steps. These steps are as follows.
How To Boot Tails From USB On Windows 10
In order to boot tails from your windows 10 or windows 8 as well:
- Open the ‘start’ menu.
- Choose power and hold the shift button as you click on ‘Restart’.
- Once the ‘choose an option’ screen is available, click on ‘Use a device’. If it does not appear then consult instructions on using boot menu key.
- Choose ‘Boot menu’ to open the windows 10 boot menu and plug in your tails usb while your windows is shutting down. Plugging tails usb while window is shutting down will prevent any virus in windows from infecting the tails operating system.
- The boot menu will have a list of possible devices to start your system from, select your Tails Usb and click ‘Enter.’ The boot loader will appear if the computer is able to start on tails. Tails will automatically load in 4 seconds.
How To Get To Boot Menu
In case the use a device screen doesn’t appear in order to enter the boot menu, the other way around is to start it using the boot menu key. There are computers that may not start the Tails usb on their own so you can turn towards the boot menu key for it. Though starting tails from windows is comparatively easier than starting it from the Boot menu key.
Follow the instructions given below
- Shut your computer and plug in your Tails usb stick.
- Depending upon your computer manufacturer, look from the possible boot menu keys like for example the Asus boot menu key is Esc, F8. Keep pressing the key for your manufacturer several times while starting up.
- A message will be displayed while will explain how to get to Boot menu or edit BIOS settings.
- If the computer still doesn’t start or if there is an error, shut down and repeat the process with all possible boot menu keys.
- If it works, the boot loader will automatically start Tails after 4 seconds.
Normally you should be able to boot your Tails from usb by using these steps however if you still have issues then try running troubleshooting. Do remember that you may encounter issues when you will try to boot tails from usb on alien ware laptops sometimes due to security policies and sometimes due to startup loops. In those cases check if your laptops have secure boot enabled in the BIOS by manufacturers and disable it. Normally these are to combat with the malwares but they can get in your way.